Rezūm BPH Treatment in Houston, TX
Rezūm En Español
Dr. Clavell is the First Rezūm Center of Excellence in Texas
Rezūm is the latest minimally-invasive technology that uses thermal energy in water vapor for treatment of an enlarged prostate, known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It utilizes steam to treat the extra prostate tissue that is causing symptoms such as frequency, urgency, irregular flow, weak stream, straining and getting up at night to urinate. The procedure is performed in clinic while you are awake.
Dr. Jonathan Clavell is one of Houston’s leaders in Rezūm BPH treatment. As a fellowship trained urologist Dr. Clavell has had extensive training using Rezūm to help men get relief from symptoms of BPH. He is involved in training surgeons both nationally and internationally in regards to Rezum for BPH. If you are experiencing symptoms such as frequent urination, weak or slow urinary stream, difficulty starting urination or the inability to urinate, call (713) 652-5011 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Clavell at his office in Houston today.
The Benefits of Rezūm
Historically, BPH has been treated with medications or surgery. Transurethral Resection of the Prostate surgery (TURP) has been well-known to be the standard of care for the treatment of BPH. However, it increases the risk of erectile dysfunction, urinary incontinence and orgasmic dysfunction (the ability to ejaculate). Rezūm is a minimally-invasive procedure that usually takes less than 3 minutes in an outpatient setting and has the following benefits:
- Provides an alternative to taking medications
- Relieves urinary symptoms safely and effectively
- Noticeable improvement within two weeks
- Simple in-office procedure that does not require general anesthesia
- No need to stay in the hospital
- Preserves sexual function and the ability to ejaculate
- Allows patients to return to regular activities within a few days
How is Rezūm Performed?
Dr Clavell performs the Rezūm therapy in the clinic or outpatient setting. The doctor performs a cystoscopy to evaluate the inside of the urinary channel. With a hand-held device, Rezūm applies radio-frequency energy to a few drops of water to create vapor (steam). That water vapor is then injected into the prostate tissue that is blocking the flow of urine from the bladder. The steam releases the energy into the cell membranes and will gently and immediately damage those cells by causing cell death. Over time, your body will absorb the treated prostate tissue and the urinary channel will re-open, relieving you of your urinary symptoms.
What to Expect on the Day of Your Procedure
- The procedure involves two steps.
1. The nurse will take you to an examination room and Dr. Clavell will perform an ultrasound to measure the size of your prostate and administer local anesthesia to your prostate.
2. The nurse will then transfer you to the procedure room where they will prepare you for the Rezūm procedure (second step).
- The Rezūm procedure will be approximately 2-5 minutes long.
- Once the Rezūm procedure is over, the doctor will place a catheter to help drain your urine.
- Given your prostate tissue will become swollen initially, you will need a catheter for at least 3 days. A few days after the procedure, you will come to the clinic to have your catheter removed.
What Can I Expect After My Procedure?
Given your prostate tissue will become swollen immediately after the procedure, you will need the catheter to stay for at least 3 days. You will then come to the clinic to have your catheter removed. Immediately after the catheter is removed, you might feel that your symptoms are worse than prior to your procedure. However, you will start noticing a gradual improvement of your symptoms after 2-3 weeks. This improvement will continue to progress up until 3 months after the procedure, when you will notice the maximal effect of the water vapor therapy. At that time, you will follow up with Dr. Clavell for a final evaluation.
Why Choose Dr. Clavell?